Marienville state police said a propane leak in the residence on Trunkeyville Road caused an explosion and fire about 2:30 a.m., resulting in the death of 56-year-old Terry M. Meade.
The fire spread to a nearby seasonal residence that was unoccupied, and both structures were destroyed.
A third seasonal residence suffered an estimated $100,000 in damage.
West Hickory and Tionesta fire departments initially responded to the fire, and a state police fire marshal investigated the blaze.
No other information had been released as of early Friday evening.