East Brady woman dies in fire

From staff reports

An East Brady woman died after a fire Sunday morning.

Jacquelyn Kubla, 74, died when the recliner she was sitting in in her apartment caught on fire between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m., Punxsutawney state police fire marshal said.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and caused by a cigarette Kubla was smoking, the fire marshal said.

The fire marshal said the apartment was filled with heavy smoke and the fire eventually self-extinguished.

Fire damage in the apartment was minimal and there were no other injuries, the fire marshal said.

The fire marshal noted that Kubla was using oxygen at the time which contributed to the ignition of the fire.

New Bethlehem Police and East Brady Fire Department also responded to the scene.